The Oratory R.C. Primary and Nursery is a popular, oversubscribed, one form entry school centrally located in the City of Birmingham, serving Ladywood and the outskirts of Edgbaston.
We are blessed to have children and families from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds who bring a depth and richness to our school family. At the Oratory everyone is welcome. Everyone belongs.
Our school moved to its current location in November 1976 originally being known as The Oratory Mission Roman Catholic School when it opened in 1856 on Hyde Road. The school has undergone a number of significant changes during the past 162 years from being a Boy’s School to a Secondary Modern School with an Infant and Junior School to the school it is today.
We are proud and respectful of our historical links and strong partnership with our parish church, The Oratory Church of the Immaculate Conception and its community led by Father Ignatius Harrison (Provost). Father Anton Guziel, (Parish Priest) is our School Chaplain and Chairman of the Governing Board.
Our children are well supported by their families, staff and parishioners through their journey of faith which includes Sacramental preparation, Benediction, Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and regular professions of Faith, for example participation in the annual May Procession, and Corpus Christi Procession following First Holy Communion, through the streets of Ladywood and Edgbaston.
Our Early Years Foundation Stage Unit has 30 children in Reception and a Nursery which operates on a morning only basis and can accommodate 26 children. It is usual for at least two thirds of our Nursery children to move into our Reception class. In the main school we have capacity for 180 children from Year 1 to Year 6, 30 children in each year group.