Bottle Diver Science Experiment
- Empty Plastic Two Litre Bottle
- Drinking Straw
- Small Paper Clip
- Play-dough or Reusable Adhesive Putty
- Thick Tin Foil (I used a Tin Foil Pan)
- Cut out your diver using the same shape and size indicated above. I lightly sketched my diver on my foil before I cut him out. Note: That is a small paper clip. The diver should be approximated an inch and a half tall.
- Cut the straw and position it on the paper-clip as show above. Each end should be secured by the ends of the paper clip.
- Slowly slide the straw onto the diver as show above. The diver should look like he’s wearing a scuba tank.
- Place a small piece of play-dough or putty on the diver’s feet.
- Fill a glass with water and put the diver in. This is to test to make sure it floats. It should float as shown above. If it doesn’t float, you’re straw may have a hole in it. Try again with a new straw.
- Fill the two liter bottle with water. Make sure to fill it to the top, otherwise the experiment won’t work. Carefully place the diver into the bottle and screw on the lid
- Squeeze the bottle and watch as the diver sinks to the bottle. Stop squeezing and he will float back to the top.
Tyla and Dylan
our experiment deep sea diver did not work,the hardest part was testing the weight of the diver.The best part was when we had to create the gear for the little diver.Our first attempt was created by a pen lid and blue-tack but this did not work.However our second attempt was a greater result and worked.We felt really happy after our two attempts because it finally worked.This was a very fun and complicated experiment and we would recommend trying to do this experiment at home or with family and friends.We both think that this is one of the best experiments we have ever participated in.
Shane and Olivia
Our deep sea diver was successful and the easiest part was testing the diver to see if it would float or not. The hardest part was putting the paperclip and the straw on the man at the same time.Our first attempt didn’t go as planned.Our second attempt went really, really well.It was the most brilliant and fantastic experiment you can ever do.The best part was when we got to squeeze the bottle and it sank to the bottom of the bottle.Also when we released it went back to the top. You can try this satisfying experiment too.
We recommend you should do this with all your friends and family and you can show them what you have learnt at school.